Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Well, That Was Fast

It seems like just last month I was running 12 miles on New Year's Day with a big group of friends to celebrate the start of 2012. 1171 running miles and 352 days later here it is a week from Christmas 2012 already. 2012 went fast. And it was awesome. I didn't run as many races this year as normal but managed to run a number of new-to-me races including the Moab Red Hot 55k, the Grand Mesa 50 miler, the Mount Taylor 50k and the Deadman Peaks 53 miler. As usual, I didn't crush it in any of the races but ran well (with the exception of Deadmans!) and had a great time seeing new courses and meeting new people.
I also was fortunate enough to make two bigger trips. The first one was to Spain with Allison in April for a couple weeks where we did some sightseeing, hiking and a fair bit of climbing. That trip was a wonderful experience. Then in June I was again fortunate to make a trip to Alaska with five great friends to try to climb and ski Denali (Mount McKinley). The weather didn't treat us well on the trip and our summit attempt was thwarted at the 17,200' camp but with poor climbing weather came great powder and lots of fabulous skiing. I just finished putting together the video from that trip, six months later!

Denali 2012 from Jason Halladay on Vimeo.

With a poor start to the winter of 2012-2013, things have been dry and warm around New Mexico allowing Allison and I ample opportunities to rock climb. My last blog post detailed my hardest sport climbing route to date, Meltdown. From that post, and a late-summer story in the Albuquerque Journal about the Los Alamos Mountaineers Club, a writer for the ABQ Journal interviewed me in October for a story in the paper's GO section last month. That was a fun experience and the story turned out well despite a misplaced quote and a small error every now and then. In that story I referred to Allison as my wife. A few friends caught this and asked about that. Well, the story came out a bit sooner than I thought it might as we didn't actually get married until December 12th. But yes, that's right, after being together for 12 years and being engaged for 5.5 years, we are now married. Yahoo! We took advantage of the cool date, 12/12/12, and invited a few friends as witnesses to a brief, easy ceremony at the local courthouse with Magistrate Judge Pat Casados. Andy and Sarah were my witnesses and Allison's friend Stephanie was her witness. And that was it. No photographer, cake, best men, bride's maids or funky chicken dancing. Total wedding cost: $20.00. We saved a bundle that we'll be able to use on a two or three week trip to Europe in 2013.
So yeah, the year started great and ended even greater. Here's to 2013!

14 comments:

Jeff Valliere said...

Sure, Bill leaves town, THEN you finally decide to get married.... ;). Seriously, huge congrats to you and Allison. Aron and I were just cracking wise about your extended engagment period a few weeks ago. Anyways, can't think of a better couple.

Jason Halladay said...

Thanks Per and JV! This is only place I've "announced" the news and it's cool to see who's reading the blog. Bill should have stayed in town until at least 12-12-12.

Jeff Valliere said...

I read always, comment infrequently (I am usually too impatient to interpret the code below).

When are you going big on FB? Nothing is official until that happens ;).

Jason Halladay said...

Likewise with your blog, JV. Long time reader, infrequent commenter. Don't know when we'll announce to a broader audience. Hmmm....

Steve Pero said...

Congratulations, Jason! Did your mom know? She never said a thing to me ;-)

Jason Halladay said...

Thanks Steve! No, we didn't tell anyone. Just the five of us (me, Allison and three witnesses.) Kept it super low key--just like we like it.

Unknown said...

Hooray! I'm happy for you, Jason. And for Allison too - what a terrific pair you two are. I know you always said it's be a surprise - and it is! Congratulations!
Cheers,
Aron

Jason Halladay said...

Aron! Thanks! I appreciate hearing from you man.

Tarik Saleh said...

Congrats! Pretty sneaky, as I was unaware you were until recently unmarried...

The Beist said...

Actually, I knew that he was getting married, but it was by chance. Sorry to have missed it, but hopefully we can celebrate in Europe this summer.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Just about everything done on the down low is better. Congrats. Question on the Denali video - did you have a brake on the sled when you were riding down with it in tow?
-Dave D.

Jeff Valliere said...

Finally got around to watching the video.... Great footage!! Man, you really live life to the fullest, you make me feel like a complete couch potato. I have the same question as unknown on the sled, was wondering how you avoid getting run over by it... (I want to be able to tow my daughters in a sled and am looking to modify their cheapy sleds from target in a "pulk" pole setup).

Jason Halladay said...

Thanks guys! On the sled, we did employ basic braking by knotting a cord a few times and then tying underneath the sled. It did help keep it from hauling ass but pretty much you just go fast and then try to minimized the sled rolling and carnage when you stop. Rigid arms would be much better but are fickle to rig and maintain.